In perfect honesty, I enjoy doing the Stubby’s collections more than just about anything I do. They’re fun, they’re a challenge, they’re unexpected (even when you’re expecting them), they’re different than pretty much anything else that’s out there, and I actually feel like I do them pretty well. I do regular Christmas comps and the Stubby’s comps are a completely different trip. All of the music, as you know, is culled from the downloads that artists and labels (and other free and legal sources) offer for free. You never know what’s coming, what isn’t, or when. Oh, sure, Sofia Talvik is pretty reliable for a great free Christmas tune and I rely on the annual collection from Polaroid. But, for instance, of the 46 artists on this years collection, there are only 14 I’d even heard of before this year. First, you’ve got to collect the stuff–hours and hours of it–then whittle it down to a couple hours of the most worthy. And, unless you’ve tried it, you really have no idea what is required to take that much music you’ve never heard before from artists you’ve never even heard of before–with different styles, sounds, volumes, recording quality, etc., etc., etc.–and weave it all into something that sounds like a coherent whole. It’s a skill, I tellz ya. Yeah, a pretty stupid and useless skill, but it’s all I got. And I look at that kid in The Sixth Sense who sees dead people and figure I got the better deal. Anyway, on to business.
Everything has been fully and properly tagged (I hope) and rolled up into a zip file that also includes all of the artwork you’ll need to create your own little musical souvenir of the 2019 Christmas season. Click on any of the artwork in this post and you’ll find yourself at the place where the download link is. And that download link is active from right now until Midnight January 6 (“Little Christmas”). I say Midnight, but it’s usually 2 or 3 a.m. EST. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Not like Stubby’s, itself, which somehow seems to keep popping up no matter how dead its supposed to be. No, no. Once that link is deactivated, Stubby’s Stocking Stuffers 2019 will never return.
You should know that all of the songs in the track list below are linked up to the source of the free download (artist names are linked to their websites or Facebook pages, if they have any). And I promise you that I do cut the fades and the held notes at the end to make the collection tighter. So do yourself a favor and make sure to download “The Little Things” from the link provided below, so you get the pure uncut unadulterated real thing (cuz you ain’t gettin’ it anywhere else for free…probably).
The other thing you need to know is that there is one song on this year’s collection that comes with a PARENTAL ADVISORY. We’ve spoken about Still A Great Night (Alex Feder), so you should know about his, um, frequent use of profanity. You should also know that I consider his Christmas music to be among the most original and brilliant and powerful being written today. “Still A Great Future” contains two uses of the “F” word and some other adult themes. But, hey, some assembly required. If such a thing bothers you, or if you have youngins in your household, just leave the song out when you put the mix together. It’s that simple. If you like, tack a different song onto the end in its place. Entirely your call. But I like the song and I like where I put it and feel it fits the subtext of the set (and when I say “subtext”, I’m quite certain I’m not nearly as clever as I like to think I am, so that subtext is probably pretty surface apparent).
This year, Hanukkah and Christmas overlap. There’s less free Hanukkah music available, sadly, but we’ve got one mini-set of Hanukkah tunes and one more to grow on on Stubby’s Stocking Stuffers 2019. Mazel Tov! (I’m gonna miss our annual Eight Nights of Hanukkah celebration. *sigh*)
As usual, I struggled to get the volumes to match up. The first five songs on the second disc weren’t even on the same continents. After running out of hair to rip from my skull, I eventually threw up my hands and declared “close enough”.
We’ll toss a video of “The Little Things” between the two CD playlists below and add a bonus stream at the end…a newly recorded Ska cover of “White Christmas” by our friends The Fayetteville Ska Alliance. it’s not on the collection, but it’s awesome. Alright, cats and kittens. Keeping in mind that the link will vanish like Marley’s Ghost at Midnight January 6th, start your downloads. And keep riding. For the love of God, never stop riding.
1. RESOUNDING JOY – TIN BIRD CHOIR (2019)
2. CAROL OF THE BELLS – aeseaes (2019)
3. CHRISTMAS STAR – raja ffm (2019)
4. LONELY ROBOT (LOST CHRISTMAS) – NINI BONG (2019)
5. WHEN THE SNOW STARTS – PARTY THE HUT (2014)
6. IN RED AND IN WHITE – THE POPGUNS (2014)
7. THE SANTA HOP – GOLDENFACE (2019)
8. JOY BELLS RINGING – ROBERT RANDOLPH (2019)
9. MISTLETOE RODEO – JACKALICO (2019)
10. TO MAKE ANGELS IN SNOW – FRANCIS LUNG (2019)
11. EIGHT – ZEEK MITCHELL (Z) (2019)
12. OPEN MY HEART – YOSEF GOLDMAN (2019)
13. EIGHT DAYS AND EIGHT NIGHTS – THE BURNING HELL (2018)
14. HIP HOP HANUKKAH – AARON DAVID SMITH (2019)
15. WHITE CHRISTMAS – PEGGY SUE (2019)
16. IT’S NOT CHRISTMAS TIME (WITHOUT YOU) – RYYZN (featuring Kimmy Baggins) (2019)
17. PLEASE COME BACK HOME – KRIS ANGELIS (2019)
18. SAD XMAS – TORI ROZE & THE HOT MESS (2019)
19. 24 DECEMBRE – MATTE THEORY (2018)
20. I CALL HER NOEL – BRIAN SCARTOCCI (2019)
21. HARD DECEMBER – THE WINTER FAILURE (2019)
22. DECADE ENDER – BASEBALL GREGG (2019)
23. WHAT IF SANTA CLAUS IS JUST 20 FERRETS IN A RED SUIT? – GODDAMMIT JEREMIAH (2019)
1. NO ROOM – TOM COLE (2019)
2. DEAR SANTA – DOUG McKEAN (2019)
3. DON’T BELIEVE IN CHRISTMAS – OH! GUNQUIT (2018)
4. WORK XMAS PARTY – TAPE/OFF (2019)
5. CHRISTMAS TRAIN – SOFIA TALVIK (2019)
6. MERRY XMAS TROUBLEMAKER – COSTA BRAVA & FRIENDS (2019)
7. GRINCH – THE GREAT JAZZ AUDIOBOOK (2015)
8. BLUER CHRISTMAS – REINDEER TRIBE (2019)
9. ANGELS IN THE SNOW – CHASE KERBY (2019)
10. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR HAIR? – HARRISON LEMKE (2019)
11. THE SEVEN REJOICES OF MARY – JOE BAILEY (2019)
12. SNOWFALL – NIGHT FLOWERS (2019)
13. THIS HANUKKAH – CLUB SOFA (2019)
14. MERRY CHRISTMAS – STEVE RAY BAND (2019)
15. DO YOU BELIEVE IN SANTA? – BRANDON WOLFE SCOTT (2019)
16. WINTER SOLSTICE – MARIA TAYLOR (2019)
17. CHRISTMAS TIME – WESLY THOMAS (2019)
18. SNOW – DAMARIS + DARRICK (2019)
19. ADVENT PRAYER – KEISHA VALENTINA (2019)
20. STILL A GREAT FUTURE [EXPLICIT] – STILL A GREAT NIGHT (featuring LP) (2019)
21. WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS DRIVE TO HOLLIS – DJ SCHMOLLI (2018)
22. THE LITTLE THINGS – ALTHENA SORENSEN & THE MERRY SHOUT (2019) STUBBY’S EXCLUSIVE!!!
23. JESUS CHRIST – THE ABC JUGBAND (2019)